- Office of Elections and Voter Registration
- Helpful Links & FAQs
Helpful Links & FAQs
- What are the qualifications to register to vote in Virginia?
You must be a U.S. citizen, a resident of Virginia, and be 18 years of age by the next general election. You must have had your rights restored if you have ever been convicted of a felony or have been judged mentally incapacitated in a Circuit Court.
- When are elections held in Virginia?
General elections are held on the first Tuesday after the first Monday every November. Local government elections and School Board are held on the first Tuesday in November of even-numbered years beginning in 2022. Visit this website or consult the local news media outlets for further information on special elections and primaries.
- How do I change my address?
If you have moved within the state, you will need to update your voter record. You can do so online, by mail or in our office. If your move occurred since the last November election, you may return to and vote at your previous polling location. Remember, all voters must update their records to reflect current residence because eligibility to vote requires residence in the precinct assigned based on their residence.
If you have moved from another state, you will have to complete a Virginia Voter Registration Application. You may only be registered to vote in one state.
- How do I complete a Virginia Voter Registration Application?
You have several options:
- You may apply online: https://vote.elections.virginia.gov/
- You can contact us and request the application.
- You may visit our office and complete the application.
- What happens if I lost, Damaged, and/or spoiled my ballot?
If you damage, mark incorrectly (spoil), or lose your original absentee ballot, or if you never received the absentee ballot in the mail, call the Office of Elections immediately at (276) 386-3843 and we will explain what you need to do to get a replacement ballot.
Scott County Office of Elections and Voter Registration
190 Beech St. Ste 204 Gate City, VA 24251 • Hours: Monday-Friday 8:00am-4:00pm
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 1892 Gate City, VA 24251
Phone: 276-386-3843 • Fax: 276-386-3741 • Email: firstname.lastname@example.org